
I had such high hopes for my Half Marathon, sadly, I realized that my life was a comedy of errors. I showed up in the dark about 45 min early to get a good head start on the real racers. I signed in, got directions a guy scanned my bib and away I ran. It became apparent after a few minutes that I was running the wrong way. I went back to the start and tried again. Sadly, I went the wrong way again, but after asking for detailed help I was finally on my way. I was so happy to be going the right way. After 45 min I approached the second help station and I was wondering why the runners hadn't caught me yet. Then I noticed orange arrows on the ground that I was following. The half marathon color was green and I was running with orange arrows which was the full marathon color. Then I saw them a mob of runners coming in my direction. I asked the volunteers at the water station where I was and what had happened and they said I was 1.5 miles from the start. How was this possible. I just stood there not knowing what to do. I decided to go back to the start which wasn't that far instead of going with the runners. Did I mention I had already passes the 3 mile help station. About 200 yards from the finish I started to cry hysterically. I had let myself down and I had talked such smack for such a long time how could I face anyone. I did know I didn't have the steam to start again after I had already gone six miles.
When I got back to the start I explained what happened and a nice race official said that it was no problem for him to drive me to the half way point and I could run the rest. I was so grateful.. I just had to finish. So away we went and when I got out of the car at the half way point I wondered if people thought I was a cheater but I knew I had already done half.
When it was all said and done I came in at 3 hrs 20 min. Little did I know that running for over three hours in the cold and truthfully overexerting myself would give me bronchitis, and two giant blisters. Oh well. I now can say I did it. It didn't kill me and I have a crappy cheap metal.
So there it is, my adventures in marathon running.
12 comments:
I am so proud of you!! I would have said, "forget this" and made up a good story to tell to everyone as I drove home. You still finished and got your medal. And it's not cheap, it's priceless - because you can't buy one...you have to earn it!! So you go girl! :)
You rule Burgandy. I bet no one else has such a good story from that day. :)
I am proud of you I have always wanted to run in a marathon! Good for you and who cares what route you ran you ran the same amount of miles as everyone else. Hope you get feeling better :)
I am so sorry you had such a bad experience, but like everyone said... You did it and didn't give up.
YOU GO GIRL!! WAHOO!
Ya! you did it! What a woman!
oh burg...well at least you got the crappy medal and you got a really funny (in a few months with me telling it) story to go with it! i love you and think you are awesome!
That's my Burgie! She's no quitter!! I'm so proud of you!!! I knew you could do it!!!
Good job. The point is you did it and you didn't give up. The medal is not crappy. It was hard earned. You should be proud and know that at least you had a great blog story. Just think how boring if this was the story, "I ran the marathon, it was great, I love my medal. The end."
Way to go! I am so proud of you, and you even have a great story to tell. Happy Hump day to you as well! You are awesome.
Way to go!!
Burg-you're awesome! I would have just sat my butt down and cried after 6 miles in the wrong direction!
Burg-that's awesome!! I just got an email from Chris with some picutres...he looks so good, even if he has a full beard!! Hope all is well with you and the kids. Love ya!!
-RoseAnna
Post a Comment