Monday, January 5, 2009

My 80's Omage

What does a post stomach flu-snowy day and a ton of laundry have in common? A flash back to the 80's. I know your thinking, how odd. However, I would interject that there is something about the drugary of adult life while listening to the tunes of your adolescence that will make anyone feel almost young again. I loved everything about the 80's. The hair (not hair bands) the bright layered clothes and mounds of accessories. I however never ever had a perm or the Utah Claw and at the time I was such a fashion rebel for not sporting said claw.

I can remember being in my friends room looking at a debut album (in vinyl) titled "Madonna," with a woman wearing a belt buckle with the words Boy Toy wondering what a "Boy Toy," was.

My first celebrity crush was Sean Austin (Sam from The Lord of the Rings) in Goonies.
Boy did I want to kiss him braces and all. After seeing the movie I got the latest copy of Bop magazine, tore out the poster of him and hung it in my closet. I wasn't brave enough to hang it in my room and risk ridicule from my brothers.


I can also remember seeing ET thinking Drew Barrimore acted like such a baby (she and I are the same age).

When Chris and I got married in Feb 94 our song was "In Your Eyes," by Peter Gabriel. He and I both loved that movie sooo much, but for some reason we couldn't see that our song was about a dysfunctional relationship. Go figure, young love. There was something about John Cusack holding up that stereo that defined mature eternal love. In truth we still don't have a new, "mature," song.


In tribute I would like to offer a new play list of oldies but goodies, and I defy you to listen to the songs without being transported back in time to the exact time you sported the claw and wanted to be Molly Ringwall.

Oh, I must also add my musical experience was more Duran Duran etc than Metallic or Whitney Houston. To this day I can't stomach screechy ballads or songs about wet women laying on top of cars. Ironically, if you were to ask Chris to compile a play list of his adolescence it would only include wet women on top of cars.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Funny thing that you love the 80's cause it's all coming back. The skinny jeans, lots of gaudy jewelry, the baggy off the shoulder shirts, leg warmers. Ugh! Oh and I loved Kirk Cameron. I had a poster of him on my wall. YUMMY! LOL

Marissa said...

LOL, thanks for the flashback.

Yvonne said...

Burgandy, you crack me up!! I hate most of the songs on your playlist, however, Don't You Forget About Me is one of my all time favorites. Please post a picture of you from the 80's!!!! I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I loved the 80's. Of course it was the time of my youth and I think everyone feels nostalgia for their youth. I was nine of ten kids so I was always listening to whatever my older sibs were listening to, so it ran the gamut. I do want to see pictures though.