Monday, June 16, 2008

Debt vs. Fun

Ok, I have a question for everyone. Should Chris and I pay off debt with a little extra money we are getting or should I spend it on things I want, a fence, landscaping, blinds for the downstairs etc. I really want to do alot of home improvements while Chris is gone but I also want to pay off my student loans etc. What do you think? Also, I want to go on a nice family vacation when he comes back, but that will also cost alot because we have so many kids. I guess I'm worried a little about the economy and if everyday prices are going to keep going up so much. I just don't want to be a person who looks back with nice stuff but debt we can't pay. I also don't want to be a person who never goes on vacation with the family because I'm worried about money. We have only gone on one vacation (sleeping at a hotel) as a family since we have been married.

8 comments:

Emily said...

With out a doubt, PAY OF THE DEBT!

Colleen said...

Yeah, I'm afraid I definitely vote for paying off debt. Not so fun, but smarter in the long run.

Kara said...

Me too!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Paying off the debt will give you great peace of mind, which is wonderful. However, I am not adverse to using most of the money to pay a big chunk of the debt and then saving some for a fun holiday. Especially noting the fact that your daughter hasn't been on a real roller coaster. If you really plan you can get a lot of the stuff for a vacation cheaply or at least cheaper than originally thought. Set a money limit for the vacation and work within it.

V and Co. said...

SPEND IT AND BURN IT FOR FUN!!! :P
you already know what i would tell you to do.

Chris said...

I'm all for paying off debt. I think we can tuck some away so we can have a getaway as a family. They usually run specials for military at theme parks. The decorating of the house we can do piece-meal, like we always do. :)

Becca said...

I think you should set a budget for a family vacation (for heavens sake the man is at war!). But use the rest to pay off debt, once you reach your goal then buy one thing that you really want.

liliusmaximus said...

DON'T WORRY ABOUT US MOM!!!! PAY OFF THE DEBT!!! who needs disneyland anyway? who wants 2 stand in line 4 2 hrs get on the ride and find out it is the bugs life "it's a small world after all" and have it stuck in your head the rest of the trip? NOT ME!!! LOVE YA!!